Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Phurba!


Dave and I recently rescued a puppy, and she's the best thing EVER. Seriously. She totally rocks. Her name is Phurba - pronounced Per-ba. We originally heard the name on the show “everest: beyond the limit” – that reality show where people climb up Mt. Everest, and Phurba Tashi is the Sherpa that everyone wants to work with. We looked up the word phurba, and it’s a three sided dagger used in Tibetan ceremonies to dispel negative energy and obstacles, and bring safety and protection upon the user. We thought it was a fitting name for her, and she seems to like it.   (We've sinced ditched the pink dog collar that she came with in favor of a highly reflective skull and crossbones one.)


She's been going to obedience classes, but she still doesn't know her name, and she's about 85% there with "sit" on command.  Phurbs is not even four months old, so we cut her some slack on these things, but, there are some things that are not so easy to just brush off.  Things like this:

This is the math:
New Puppy - $285
Fluevog Boots - $450
None of this is PRICELESS! 

Seriously, I had forgot how sharp puppy teeth and how much damage those teeth can cause just while you're in the shower!

We still love her though.  And I gave a little "hooray" when I found that her puppy teeth were falling out and big dog teeth are sprouting and will bring the end to this terrible toothy period of her puppyhood.  (She's growing up so fast!  sniff.)

What kind of stuff has your pet destroyed?  How do you deal with it?

2 comments:

  1. My 4 cats have gakked up food and hairballs on furniture, rugs, clothes, books, and bills. Basically anything with an accessible surface. They also destroyed an antique Victorian sofa by scratching on one side. They have also lost things by stealing them for toys and knocked over various electroic gadgets and decorative items.

    I deal with it by reminding myself that they are animals and that their intention is not malicious in any way. They didn't ask to be made into house pets and if I want to have them in my life, I have to be willing to accommodate them. Plus there is no object that I own that I would trade any one of them for. They are each so precious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dog likes to whiz on the bathroom rug whenever it thunderstorms. Don't know what that's about, but at least it's easily washable. If he peed on my boots, we'd have another story.

    ReplyDelete