Monday, January 11, 2010

Oh, honey!


Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that elude us. And maybe even elude isn't ever the right word. I'm talking about things in life that are so simple and seemingly mundane that we completely overlook them. That is, until they are brought to light and their wondrous goodness kind of bowls you over. This recently happened to me with honey. Sweet, delicious, golden, honey.

My friend Sarah recently gave me a pot of Big Sky Honey from Montana as a Christmas present. Before I go on about it, let me just tell you - it is fabulous! Just so damn good. I'm fairly addicted to its mellow sweetness in my evening herbal. Herbal tea, ahem.

But my moment of wonder came when I shrieked with horror (well, just a little bit and only on the inside) moment when, upon unwrapping my gift, I heard myself saying , "Y'know, I've never really used any other honey other than honey-bear honey." WHHHAAAATTTT??? How did my life to get this point that I consider myself fairly food savvy but I settle for crusty on the bottom plastic forest animal honey?

I know that this seems like such a tiny little trivial thing, but it made me wonder, "What else am I overlooking?" I'm sure that there are all kinds of things that we take for granted, but have more complexity than we give them credit for.

So, I've decided that my 2010 resolution is going to be to look for the beauty and intrigue in the little things that surround us every day. I know it's a little late to make a New Year's resolution, but I figured most people have already broken the ones they made for the year, so whatever.

1 comment:

  1. I was struck by sadness just the other day as I used the last couple of tablespoons of the local honey I bought last summer. Winter farmer's market starts up tomorrow and I hope to re-stock.

    ReplyDelete